Reasons for Teeth Discoloration and Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Do you like thousands of others dream of having a set of perfect pearly whites ? Do you hesitate to smile confidently because of yellow teeth? Well, a bright and healthy smile is more important than you think; not just aesthetically but for good oral and overall health also. In this article, we have compiled for you reasons for teeth discoloration and benefits of teeth whitening treatment.
Let’s begin by understanding why your teeth become dull over a period of time.
- Diet – Food and drinks with strong colored pigments such as tea, coffee, berries, red wine etc., contain chromogens. These are strong pigments which adhere to your teeth. This lends a colored look to your teeth’s white enamel, making it look dull eventually, if proper brushing and flossing routine is not followed.
- Tobacco – Tar and nicotine both stain your teeth. While the former is inherently dark in color, but the latter is colorless until it’s combined with oxygen, which turns it into a yellow substance thus staining your teeth yellow.
- Medications – Some of the medications such as certain antihistamines, antipsychotics and blood pressure medicines are responsible for tooth discoloration. Even chemotherapy when performed on neck or head can also cause teeth staining.
- Age – With age, the white and hard outermost layer – the enamel eventually becomes thin over years with brushing. This leaves the dentin, soft yellow inner layer exposed.
- Trauma – If you have been hit in the mouth by any item during an activity or accident, your teeth will naturally respond to such trauma by creating extra dentin – the inner dark layer of a tooth, which leads to a color change of your teeth.
Now that we have understood the various reasons for teeth discoloration, let’s take a look at the various benefits of opting for a teeth whitening treatment.
- Teeth whitening treatment reduces your overall risk of oral health issues. It reduces the risk of gum diseases which are known to cause numerous dental and general health problems such as bleeding gums, infection, bad breath, tooth loss and abscesses. The gel used in professional teeth whitening treatment is known to destroy bacteria causing tooth decay and gum diseases, and also balancing the pH levels in your mouth. Yellowness and stubborn stains are also removed with this treatment.
- Gum diseases often lead to inflammation in gums which can spread. Certain studies have shown that such inflammation could actually contribute towards impaired cognitive ability. With teeth whitening treatment, the risk of gum disease is considerably reduced. This eventually means you can also be reducing your risk of developing certain mental health conditions.
- Over years, several studies have linked poor oral health with various degenerative health conditions such as stroke, diabetes, heart disease, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), etc. People who choose teeth whitening treatments greatly reduce their chances of developing oral issues such as gum diseases and tooth decay. This eventually takes them closer to safeguarding their overall physical health.
- A customized professional teeth whitening treatment can give you reliable, fast and long-lasting results.
- Teeth whitening treatment is safer and has almost zero side effects as compared to over the counter methods.
- It is relatively a less complicated and quick solution for a healthy and bright smile as compared to other cosmetic procedures.
- You don’t need to hold back your smile anymore. Be it your professional or social circle, you can smile confidently. A confident smile can work wonders on your personality.
- Smiling releases natural endorphins which are also known as ‘feel good’ hormones. These hormones make us feel happy. A clean and bright smile can encourage you to smile more confidently and more often thus triggering the release of these fantastic hormones.
Hence, if you too are looking for a hassle free and safe teeth whitening treatment, visit your nearest family dentist today.
A dental marketer at Michael G. Long DDS, Fresno, CA and a believer in holistic health, Grace lives by the rule that health and happiness go hand in hand. She writes on various dental topics focusing on healthy living and holistic health. When she’s not working or blogging, she enjoys spending her time with her family and volunteering at the local youth centers where she educates children about the importance of health and fitness.