What Are The Things You Need To Know About Hair Transplants – 2020 Guide
Hair thinning and subsequent hair fall are some of the major concerns of people who are regularly exposed to the sun and pollution, along with added stress of daily life. This ends up in the patients feeling a lack of confidence in themselves because of the way they look. To solve the issue, most people go for off-the-counter products such as chemical-induced shampoos and conditioners. However, most of them often face the side-effect of them not working at all and losing more of the hair. That is why often touted as one of the most reliable and permanent solutions to the problem, is considered to be the hair transplant surgery by certified doctors.
So, What is a Hair Transplant?
A hair transplant is a surgical treatment where follicles are taken from the back of the scalp and transplanted to the recipient site, which is suffering. The donor site, typically the back of the scalp, can also be different, depending on the reason in the first place. In statistics covered worldwide, it is seen that around fifty percent of women and sixty percent of men suffer from some of the other kinds of hair loss which has to be addressed.
Types of Transplant
Transplant surgery is done in two distinct methods, namely; Follicular Unit Transplant, also known as strip harvesting, and Follicular Unit Extraction, considered to be one of the newer methods of conducting the operation. The surgeon chooses which method would deliver results for the patient by analyzing the reason for the occurrence. Both results are effective and derive optimum results in the hands of the best hair transplant doctor in India. So, let us get to know more about these techniques one by one:
- FUT: In this method, skin strips with healthy follicles are taken from the back of the head and slivered. From there, tiny strips are taken, and the roots are manually removed. These are further planted at the site that is suffering from thinning.
- FUE: This technique is a modern version of FUT. While it is a modern and time taking process, it is more cost-effective, and there are almost no visible linear scars once this is complete. A low torque round punch device is used to pull out follicles from the scalp and then implant them to the recipient area.
Things You Must Know About the Surgery
Now that you are aware of the various types of transplant surgeries performed, it is time to know a few facts associated with the same. They are:
- Transplanted hair can shed between two and four weeks of the surgery.
- The roots, following the shedding, grow naturally for a lifetime.
- The procedure is performed under local anesthesia and thus is painless.
- Such a treatment is different from any other non-surgical restoration techniques.
- The surgery would not mean having a luxurious crop suddenly.
Hair Transplant Surgery – Is it worth it?
If you are comparing off-the-shelf recovery products and wigs with surgery, then definitely a transplant is worth it. Such is not just effective, but if you visit the best hair transplant doctor in India, you would get permanent results as well. Some things you must be careful about before going for such surgery include:
- They are not for everyone.
- One must go through a Trichoscopic analysis to check the eligibility and which procedure to opt for.
- Such hair would thin over time, and that is when you might have to go through another round of surgery.
- Patients who have more dormant follicles and thus, no donor area, have the least amount of success rate after surgery.
Along with this, you need to know that surgery is not for those people who suffer from widespread baldness or thinning because they have a high probability of dormant follicles. It is also not suitable for people who have undergone chemotherapy or are under medications where hair fall is a side-effect. If you are someone who has thick scalp scars due to earlier injuries, there is a high chance of not being eligible for the surgery as well.
Factors that Contribute to the Final Cost
While we are on the subject of surgery, let us have a look at the cost distribution of the same. Many people, especially in India, are of the understanding that transplant surgery is among one of the costliest operations. However, that is not a fact at all. The final cost of such surgery depends on several factors. Some of them include:
- The Place of Your Residence: While it might come as a surprise, the place where you live plays a tremendous factor in the cost of surgery. If you are living in an area where only the best hair transplant doctor in India practices this, you would have to pay a high price. If there are several other doctors in the same locality, the cost would be drastically low.
- Amenities of the Hospital: You would also have to check the various amenities that the hospital you are visiting is providing. Some are small clinics that solely focus on surgeries. Whereas there are reputable hospitals that make use of the latest equipment and state-of-the-art technologies for optimum results. It is up to you to choose one which maintains all the SoPs (Safety Standard Procedures) for the treatment offered.
- Surgeons and Their Experience: As a vital factor that adds up to the final cost, we consider the experience that the surgeons performing the treatment have. You need to get a thoroughly researched document consisting of the various achievements of the doctors offering the surgery in your area before you consider the final price. It is always suggested that you opt for ABHRS certified doctors to guarantee excellent results.
Apart from these top factors, the number of grafts and the base price per graft are added as well. You also have to account for the technique used for the surgery because both of them are skill intensive. A part of the transplant surgery depends on the kind of post-operation precautions you are to take, including the recovery medication, antibiotics, and anti-inflammation medicines.
If you are looking for a permanent solution to your thinning problems, you may consult the best hair transplant doctor in India at Saraswat Hospital.